Monday, April 13, 2009

Want to run a 5K?

This past week, I had a friend ask me if I had any advice or a plan for running a 5K in the next 6 weeks or so. I could probably put together a program based on my experience, but instead, I went out and did some research online. I learned pretty quickly that any 5k training program I authored would likely be a bit aggressive, primarily driven because of my love for eating. Sweets.
According to the training plans I found out there, this is pretty doable quite quickly. The best ones I found:

Take a look, give one a try, and let me know how it goes.

As far as advice goes, here is what I can offer:
  • Be sure to rest. Resting allows your body to heal and helps prevent injury.
  • Listen to your body. If you are sucking wind during a workout one day and it feels impossible, listen to your body and ease up. Tomorrow is another day.
  • Don't get discouraged. Focus on the positive stuff you are accomplishing. The tough stuff? It is just there to remind us that we are human.
  • Reward yourself. Set up milestones for yourself and pick some rewards along the way. And it doesn't just have to be cake (which is my reward of choice), but you could allow yourself some time to watch some TiVo that's been sitting there or take a night off of work e-mail. Be creative.
Please let me know about your experience, how it's going, where you need more help, etc.

Write me:
pamela@willrunforcake.com

No comments:

Post a Comment